Free calculator
  • 0141 345 2904
  • 0800 987 5337
    (Head Office)
  • 0800 193 1024

Legally Unaffordable Debts With An IVA...

Lower Monthly Repayments

Do I Qualify?

Write Off Unaffordable Unsecured Debts

Legislated Debt Solution - Its The Law!

IVA  Use our Free Calculator to see if you qualify...

How Do IVAs Affect Property Assets?

Fear of losing the roof over their heads is one of the reasons many people don’t consider an IVA when they’re in financial trouble, yet most of the information people know about IVAs (Individual Voluntary Arrangements) and properties is incorrect. Whether you’ve spent decades paying a mortgage or are living in rented accommodation and in fear of the landlord, this guide will help you sort out the truths from the misconceptions.

Do you have to own a property to have an IVA?

No, both homeowners and renters can take out an IVA.

I own my own home – will I lose it if I have an IVA?

No. It is in no-one’s interest to see you lose your home, however if you have any equity you should expect to be asked to release up to 75% to pay your creditors within the five years of the IVA by re-mortgaging following an evaluation. If you have little or no equity in your home, your IP may wait to until the latter stages of your IVA to do the evaluation to give your property a chance to increase in value.

If I rent, does the landlord have to know?

The landlord does not have to know you want to take out an IVA, but you should check your tenancy agreement to ensure there is no clause preventing you from entering into an IVA while a tenant in that property. However, if you want to move to another property and a credit check is done before you move in you will almost certainly not pass it as the IVA will be recorded on there.

What if I live with my parents?

Only your property assets are considered under an IVA, not your parents or anyone else’s. An IVA does not grant any kind of automatic right over another’s assets.

What if I own a property with someone else?

Your IP will need to obtain the other owner’s permission to re-mortgage the house to extract the equity, and has the power to force this process through the courts if the other owner does not agree. Once completed, a rightful share of the proceeds will go to them and your share will be paid to your creditors.

Will I have to sell our holiday home?

It depends on the demands of your creditors. It is likely they may be satisfied if you re-mortgage to release some of the equity, rather than force you to sell.

What if I’m in negative equity?

Usually if you’re in negative equity your property will be assessed at the end of the IVA term rather than at the beginning to allow it a chance to increase in value during the intervening 4-5 years. However, it is possible to buy out the IP’s ‘interest’ in the property with a one-off payment from a third party. 

Can I claim my mortgage as an IVA debt?

Unfortunately not! A mortgage is a secured debt, as your mortgage lender effectively owns the property until you have paid them the mortgage back. Only unsecured debts can be included in an IVA.


Do I Qualify?

By answering a few simple questions, our calculator will see if you can qualify to write off your unaffordable unsecured debts.

Be free from the pressure of debt!

An IVA only lasts for 60 months (5 Years). As long as you keep up repayments any unnafordable unsecured debts are written off.
Do I Qualify? No Credit Checks

IVA | Terms & Conditions | Complaints Procedure | terms | Fees And Key Information | Privacy Policy | Sitemap | Useful Contacts | TCF Policy

______________ is an introducer and not an insolvency practice. With your approval, following advice from your SFS adviser, if you choose to go ahead with an IVA then we will pass a completed fact-find to an Insolvency Practitioner who will then present a proposal to your creditors. © 2018 All rights reserved. is managed by Right Protect Limited.

Debt Solutions Subject to conditions and acceptance. Credit rating may be affected. Repaying debt over longer period may increase the total amount to be repaid. Fees payable if continuing services provided. Alternative free-to-consumer debt advice organisations as recommended by the Money Advice Service. Call charges may apply if calling from a mobile. *You may be required to pay a contribution towards your debts. This contribution is assessed based on your income and expenditure and can last for 60 months or longer.